Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dominica Loveeee

Dominica has stolen my heart! Early yesterday (1/23) morning 570 anxious college students, professors, life long learners, and everyone else on the MV Explorer woke up around 8am to the sight of land. Not like the day before when we passed Puerto Rico, this was our stop! In the required Global Studies class, we had learned everything about the nation from culture, food, history and health and safety. However, no amount of lectures could prepare us for what was in store for the next two days.

Dominica is not the same as the Dominican Republic. Dominica is a small island located along side both the Atlantic ocean and the Caribbean ocean. Dominica gained it's independence shortly before the 1976 Hurricane David that nearly wiped the island flat, killing many people and devastating the new nation. After much hard work and community strength, the people rebuilt and are now a fully functioning independent place for many people to call home. The primary language spoken is english, and many older generations speak creole. The country is built on a sleeping volcano that hasn't been active for an estimated 10,000 years. 70% of the peoples in Dominica are Catholic and strictly enforcing in many areas. It was reported that a man was killed after having been suspected of being homosexual. On the same note, the police on the streets do not carry guns because it is said to be so safe, and there is no need. Dominica has one of the worlds most advanced economic systems which is a real wake up call when we see the amount of poverty and underdevelopment, and try and compare it to our home. There are to this day a small number of indigenous people called the Carib Tribe. They live and survive in the rainforest. Some students were fortunate enough to visit the tribe on what was described as a “reservation”. The average year-long temperature in Dominica is 86 degrees F. One local described the 2 seasons as “wet, and wetter.”

Throughout my stay in Dominica, my most valuable lesson that I learned was that when in a vehicle, the best thing is just to close my eyes and pray! There are no real street laws, they drive on the left (not wrong) side of the road, and the driver is on the right side of the car. Taxis will honk and chase you down to give you a ride. I personally have mixed feelings about the taxis. On one hand, they are ripping us off SO bad. It does seem a bit wrong when everyone is getting charged different, from $2 USD-$25 USD for the same 5 minute ride. On the other hand, I do fully realize that we are walking dollar signs. These people have been counting down the days until over 700 Americans would flood their town and drop money like we are millionaires. Everything from transportation, food, and souvenirs add up pretty fast! While most of the students here come from very wealthy families, and can afford to spend over $100 dollars on alcohol in one night, there are a good number of us who are treating this AMAZING opportunity as more than a booze cruise. It was in this port that I truly realized who the people are that I want to make memories with sober, and those who are going try and get drunk in every country. I can in no way justify wasting this learning adventure on being one of those “stupid American tourists” that terrorize a modest country with alcohol and partying.

On a much lighter note, the things I did and saw in Dominica are still blowing my mind! The people I have talked to is still processing. Every conversation is on repeat in my brain. Those “God is good!” moments when we saw the most beautiful things are flashing through my eyes. I started yesterday by having a local lunch and then going on an Aerial Tram through the Rainforest. For lunch, we went to a small restaurant (shack with no “A health notice” hanging in the window.) I ordered the curry chicken dish that came with rice, potato salad, coleslaw, and a coke (not made with high fructose corn syrup) It was so good and didn't get sick!! THE RAINFOREST. The air was the freshest air that has ever touched my lungs. The cool breeze was the most refreshing breeze as it dropped 15 degrees at the top. There are not many species of animals here, except for birds. There are over 120 species of birds, 4 species of snakes and frogs, and millions of plants and trees. One tree had berries that have been proven to kill the HIV virus, but also kill the person. The guide said that it is good because then person then “becomes a science rat”. After making it to the very top, our group took a hike down to the base. I wasn't brave enough to zip-line down...maybe in Brazil! Next I met with a group of friends to go snorkeling in the Caribbean ocean. I am not a very good swimmer, but was so intrigued by Sponge Bob's home, that I found myself FAR away from the shore. I saw a swordfish, all the sea plants, a squid, and many kinds of fish. This was my first time in a warm water ocean, and I don't think I can ever go back to the Pacific ocean! When we were done snorkeling, we headed back up to the entry way of the Champagne Reefs. To our surprise, everything was closed, no one was there, and for once, there was not a single taxi or car on the road. Stranded 6 miles from town, up in a forest region, by ourselves, us 4 girls started walking. The sun was already down and it would be dark soon. 2 cars zoomed by us almost taking us out. Finally, a big white van drove by and we waved them down. They stopped, we jumped in and they took off. THEN, we decided it was a good time to ask if they could take us back to the ship, and how much it would be. So yes, those big white vans that we were always worried about as kids, that went out the window, and I hitchhiked back to town. They never really said anything to us over their blasting reggae music, but finally we got about a mile from the ship and they told us the rest of the way would be another $15 USD. SO, being the poor college students that we are, we walked the rest of the way, in the now dark, cutting through ally ways, and passing by whistling men hanging out in cars and porches. Because we eventually made it back, it is not a thrilling story to tell the grand kids. But at the moment, I wanted to take out my camera so bad, but did not feel safe to do so. Also, when we were out, there was not a SASer in sight, nor was there any officials, or taxi drivers. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! Talk about bonding time. :)

After all the exciting things that day, my friends and I went out to dinner at a local restaurant. We didn't even order anything and the women came out with 4 big plates of food. It was delicious. Then, we headed back to the ship and met up with some more friends. We talked and laughed the night away out on the pool deck, getting to know each other, and the worker who is from India.

The next day, today, I woke up early and started with the same breakfast that we have everyday. We walked into town to get local currency, and go to the market. My bartering is getting better already! My group then found a cab driver who was willing to take us to the waterfalls, the place where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed, and anywhere else we wanted for $10 USD round trip. This man grew to be my favorite Dominican. His name is Israel and he is 63 years old. He stayed with us all day, showing us where everything was and making sure that we were safe. We first drove back to the rainforest and did a 3 mile hike high up in the nature. It was rough, but totally worth the soreness that I am feeling right now. After this, Israel took us to the waterfalls. They were huge and called the Ma and Pa waterfalls. The Ma was shorter and wider, and the Pa was taller and slimmer. We took pictures and headed down some more trails until we got to hot springs at the bottom. They felt just like a spa, and we relaxed for a bit. To end the day in Dominica, we went to a local grocery store and bought some snacks to take back with us for the next 5 day stretch before we arrive in Brazil. I found a pack of candy strawberry rings that were packaged in Santa Monica CA. And they would usually be $1 USD, they were $6 EC which is about $3 USD.

Dominica is definitely my favorite port so far!!! I need to come back here asap. It has left me with nothing more than a thirst for more, and I told some new friends that I would be back soon, so I will hold myself to that. The houses and buildings lining the hills, the naturally fresh air filled with smog, to the 1 well paved road that gave way to the gradually rougher roads, eventually leading to the run down houses and stray dogs roaming the streets, this place is a blessing from above who needs a hand out of poverty. I pray that this SAS visit has left a good impression on the country, and that we will be reunited one day. I need to stop promising pictures soon, it is really impossible at this point, but I do promise that I have already taken over 500 pictures and you will be the first who I share the beauty of the world with! Lots of Love, Pray hard
-Maya


1 comment:

  1. Wow maj it sounds so amazing. Only God knows what he has in store for you next. Be careful. I'm so proud of you for taking full advantage of this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete