Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 3&4

1/20

And we're off!!! The ship left Nassau a few hours ago at 1200 hours. (this military time stuff is hard) Some of the students who were supposed to be on the ship were stuck in Florida because they didn't get their visas on time, so we are going back for them! We will return to Nassau at about 1730 and leave for good at 2030. Today was our orientation and we were sitting in meetings all day. I believe we will be arriving to our first port on Monday or Tuesday.

This place is so unreal. Right now I am sitting in the Piano bar with a bunch of people, listening to Destiny, a deaf student, rock out on the piano. She is amazing!! Dinner is in 30 minutes, and then we will have the opportunity to sign up for clubs and groups that we want to get involved in.


1/21

My day has been pretty crazy so far. I woke up before 6 and met a friend in the gym. She is hard core military and joining the marines after this trip! So I told her to get me into shape! haha The ship is moving VERY fast to make up for the lost time, but it's moving A LOT. So after the gym, I had an 8am (Rhetoric of Equality and Social Justice). I went back to the room to shower and when I got out, I felt soooo sick. So I managed to get to breakfast and could barely touch my food. I went straight to class and was about to throw up the whole time. I had my eyes closed, sitting super still. I couldn't participate, take notes, or  anything. So when I was at work my professor came in and I apologized and explained that I was sick. She is a very nice "big black momma" and was very understanding. After that class, I went back to my room with a ginger ale and took a nap. I woke up feeling much better and went to my next class. This next class was Language and Globalization. The professor is from UCI, and he seems sooo amazing! I am very interested and excited for this class! Straight from there, I went to work. It was a lot of fun, I know Carla would say I work to slow, and I could see it in one of my supervisors eyes...how am I supposed to know how to fold clothes all perfectly?! But the other supervisor is very nice and friendly. After work, I bought some things. I bought a blanket, itinerary shirt, and a water bottle. I told her I was done shopping for the week. She said "yeah right! if you don't shop for the rest of the week, I will cut my hair short!!" haha The adventures continue. I went back to my room only to realize that I forgot my key Luckily, my cabin steward was walking by and let me in for free Now, I am in the piano study lounge. My personal favorite hangout. We have some very talented musicians on board. After dinner, I have a meeting for Vicarious Voyage (partnership with my mom's classroom) and then the pre-port meeting. We are loosing another hour again tonight, putting me 4 hours ahead of Cali time. We will arrive to Dominica tomorrow sometime.

I am feeling a million times better and I think I just got sick because I took my wristbands off to workout. I am going to have to find something else to do, maybe join the Zumba club! Oh, last night I signed up for a Diversity and Social Justice club, Lutheran Service Club, and Extended Family group, which matches life long learners, faculty, staff, and students into families that we will have a dinner with, keep in contact with and so on.

Hopefully, or not, I will have the opportunity in Dominica to upload some pictures to the blog. Talk to every one soon! Lots of Love!!

maya.wandsberg.s12@semesteratsea.org

No comments:

Post a Comment