Thursday, January 19, 2012

DAY 1 & 2

WOW! I don't even know where to begin. This is been so amazing so far! I
boarded the ship yesterday for my work study assignment. I met my
roommate Becca in our "whole in the wall" that they call a cabin! It is
the smallest room in the world. As soon as you walk through the door
there is my suitcase blocking the entry because there is absolutely no
other floor space and we haven't unpacked yet! My roommate is super nice
and I think we are going to get along just fine. She is from Florida but
goes to school in North Carolina. California is the most represented
state on the voyage pf 570 students. I have been meeting people from all
over the US, Mexico, China, and so many other places. The staff and
life-long learners are some of the most amazing people I have ever met!
Okay, back to what I have been up to..
Yesterday after getting situated, we had dinner, (which was
AMAZING. Lamb curry) and then had a meeting for all work study students.
We met with our supervisors and got an introduction to our job. Working
in the campus store, I get paid $30 an hour for 2 hours a day, to fold
clothes. How's that for my first real job! We get to choose our own
hours, we can split the 2 hours during the day, and we can decorate the
store how ever we want, we can play our own music, and come up with
specials and promotions. Easiest and most fun job on the ship.
After that, it was time to prepare for the bon voyage parent
reception. One of the perks of being work study was that we would be on
the ship with our parents and show them around. My mom and cliff boarded
the ship, (you go through more pat downs and screenings than the airport
at every entry and exit) and went to a meeting, ate DELICIOUS food, and
I got to show them around a bit. I also was able to show them my room
and introduced them to my roommate which was definitely neat. THEN, it
was time for "good-bye". It was hard. For both of us, but I know that
these 4 months will fly, and everything will be good. After, I headed
back to my room and hung out with Becca and another friend. We both went
to bed early because we had an early wake up call this morning.
6am!!!! Breakfast and in the Union (which is the main meeting
place) by 7am. phewwww!! Today is a big day! It is embarkation and time
to help check in 500 more students to the MV Explorer. I helped at the
Finances table, telling people that they still owe ISE $27,000..hahah. I
worked with my friend Allison and a man named Tom. We were a good team
and got through everyone by lunch time. For lunch we had lo-mein, pork
chops, 2 kinds of salad, bread, ...the list goes on of our choices!
After lunch I went to the computer lab to get my e-mail working and
everything set up on my computer. Good to go!
Now, I am back in my room with my roommate this time for real,
GOING TO UNPACK!! This room is a mess. Just like at home :) By the way,
my shower is a corner in the bathroom. I can't turn around or move
without hitting the shower curtain or wall. I will blog as much as
possible! We leave the Bahamas this evening at 11pm, headed to Dominica,
pronounced (Dom-in-neeka). Bring it motion sickness!!!! Love you all!
Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. YAY you posted. Ive been waiting. although you didnt provide pictures!! your first two days sounds great!!!

    ReplyDelete